Changing Your Garage Door’s Seals With a Garage Door Repair in South Beach
Garage doors can be a homeowner’s best friend and a great source of frustration. A broken seal is one of the homeowners’ most common problems with their garage door. An expert in garage door repair in South Beach can help you seal the garage door. However, it’s possible to do it yourself. Below are tips from a company that specializes in garage door repair in Los Angeles on how to do it.
Signs That Your Seal May Be Damaged or Worn Out
Here are signs that your seal may be damaged or worn out.
• Missing or damaged weather stripping. Air may get into your garage if you have missing or damaged weatherstripping. It can cause problems for your heating and cooling system and the insulation in your walls.
• Weather stripping is coming off track. If you notice any seals on your garage door coming off the track, this may indicate a problem with the tracks themselves. It could mean they must be replaced before they start causing more severe problems for your garage door opener or other parts of your home’s HVAC system.
• Worn-out tracks. If there are dents or holes in the tracks of your garage door, then this could also mean an issue with the seal itself, especially if it has been letting air into the space between the two doors every time, they open or close.
• Sagging garage door panels. If the top and bottom of your door are sagging, it’s a sign that the seal is worn out. That can lead to mold growth.
• Bent or cracked panels. Bent or broken panels are another sign that your seal may be damaged or worn out. If there’s a bend on one side of the panel, excess pressure is placed on that side when closing or opening the door. It can cause it to crack over time as well. When this happens, it allows more water into your garage, leading to more problems down the road with mildew growth and rusting metal doors.
• Increase in noise from your door. One of the first things you’ll notice when something goes wrong with your garage door is an increase in noise. Several factors can cause this, but if you see an increase in noise from the top of the door as it opens and closes, it could be a sign that something has gone wrong with the seal around its edges.
Repairing a Garage Door Seal – A Step-by-Step Guide
Below is a guide on how you should make the garage repair.
1. Buy the Correct Door Seal for the Job
The first step in repairing your garage door seal is to make sure you buy the correct one for the job. There are many different types of seals on the Los Angeles market today, each with unique characteristics. Some seals are made for residential applications, while others are for commercial use. Others may still be made for both, but the material used to construct them can differ depending on the product. Consider these factors before choosing a new door seal for your garage.
2. Check for Screws Holding the Existing Door Seal in Place
The first thing you need to do is check for screws holding the existing door seal in place. These screws are at the edges of your garage door, usually near where the top and bottom meet. Skip this step if no screws are holding the old seal in place.
If you’re replacing an older seal that has screws holding it in place, you’ll want to remove those screws before doing anything else. It will make installing your new seal easier because you’ll be able to see what you’re doing better without having to worry about screw heads getting in your way while trying to slide on your new seal.
3. Remove the Old Door Seal
Once you’ve found or confirmed that screws are holding the old door seal in place, you need to remove them from your garage door. To do this, unscrew these screws until they come out ultimately so they can no longer hold the old seal in place. Make sure not to damage any other parts of your garage door during this process! After removing the old seal, throw it away or recycle it if possible.
4. Preparing Your Work Station
Before you begin to replace your garage door seal, you will want to assemble all the tools and materials that you will need. It includes a ladder or step stool, a pair of gloves to protect your hands from cuts and scrapes, and a toolbox full of screwdrivers, pliers, and other everyday household items that will come in handy during the garage door repair south beach process.
5. Prepare the Door for Its New Seal
The first thing that you should do is prepare your garage door for its new seal by removing any excess oil or dirt from its surface. You can do this by wiping down the door with a damp cloth or using a cleaning agent if necessary. Once you have done this, it is time to remove all the old hardware from your garage door so that you can install your new seal properly.
You may need to remove several screws or bolts depending on how many pieces of hardware have been installed on your door previously. Once these pieces are removed and set aside for safekeeping, it is time to install your new seal onto the track where it belongs.
6. Begin to Secure Your New Seal
Gently pull off any old tape or adhesive that may still be on the edge of the door where you’ll be installing your new seal. Once that’s done, use a sharp utility knife to remove any excess material around your new seal. The goal here is to have as clean a cut as possible so that there is no extra material hanging off your new seal once it’s installed. It will help keep out moisture and prevent it from catching on and tearing when the door closes.
7. Finish Sliding in the Rest of the Seal
After removing any old material from your track inside, begin sliding in your new seal material until it is inside your track. It may take some time because there is little room for this type of work inside your garage door tracks. However, if you take your time and do not rush things too much, everything will turn out fine.
8. Trim Off Any Excess Seal
The last step is to finish sliding the seal into place. The goal is to ensure you can’t see gaps between the garage door and frame. You may need a helper for this step to pull on the seal. Once it’s fully installed, trim off any excess, and you’re done!
A garage door is more than a simple entrance to your home. It is a solid structure that protects the elements and security from intruders. When you notice that your garage door needs repair or replacement, you should contact a Los Angeles garage repair professional immediately to prevent further damage and avoid the inconvenience of having it malfunction when you need it most.